Mississauga Library System
Local Archives M - R

M

MAGRATH FAMILY

The Reverend James Magrath and his family arrived in Upper Canada in 1827. He was made rector of the new Anglican parish of St. Peter's, Springfield (now Erindale), Toronto Township. His granddaughter, Mary, married Arthur Harris of Benares.

MALTON

A village in the eastern part of Toronto Township, now part of the City of Mississauga.

MASONIC TEMPLE, PORT CREDIT

History of the Masonic Temple, Port Street W., Port Credit, a heritage designated building which was originally the first Methodist Church in the village.

MAYOR'S YOUTH ADVISORY COMMITTEE

Begun in 1982 by Mayor Hazel McCallion as a fulfilment of an election promise. It is now recognized as Mississauga's foremost organization for youth. Since 2012 the name has changed to Mississauga Youth Advisory Committee, aka MYAC.

MCCALLION, HAZEL

Information on the life and career of the former Mayor of the City of Mississauga who served from 1978 to 2014.

MCCARTHY MILLING CO. LTD.

Notes on the McCarthy Milling Company made by Albert Spratt, photographs, and further information from the Heritage Properties database.

MCLAUGHLIN, S.B. ASSOCIATES

Information on Bruce McLaughlin, 1926-2012, the Mississauga developer who built Square One.

MEADOWVALE

The planned community in the north-western quadrant of Misssissauga, built by Markborough Properties Limited.

MEADOWVALE - KARL FRANK COLLECTION

Promotional material, reports, research information, maps and news articles donated by landscape architect Karl Frank and related to the development of Meadowvale, a new town in the country, from 1969 to 1994.

MEADOWVALE VILLAGE

The village of Meadowvale on the Credit River was first settled in 1831. It is now known as Meadowvale Village to distinguish it from the new urban community of Meadowvale.

MERIGOLD FAMILY

One of the earliest Loyalist families who settled in the Clarkson area known as Merigold's Point.

MILLS, DON

Memo and news articles on the career of Mississauga Library Systems' third Chief Librarian, Don Mills, who served from 1987 to 2012

METHODIST CHURCH

Some material on the history of the Methodist Church in Toronto Township.

MISSISSAUGA ARTS COUNCIL

Information on the non-profit umbrella arts organization for the City of Mississauga, founded in 1981 .

MISSISSAUGA BUSINESS ENTERPRISE CENTRE (MBEC)

The Mississauga Business Enterprise Centre (MBEC), part of Economic Development at the City of Mississauga, is a partnership between the government and the private sector to help small and medium-sized businesses. It is located at the Central Library.

MISSISSAUGA CANOE CLUB

Information on the Mississauga Canoe Club which began its existence on Toronto Island and moved in 1957 to the Credit River.

MISSISSAUGA - CELEBRATION SQUARE

The City's downtown public square, located adjacent to City Hall and Central Library, serves as the premier location for large events, connecting residents and community groups through arts, culture and heritage.

MISSISSAUGA - CENSUS UPDATES

These updates to both the 2001 and 2011 censuses include data on various topics such as population, age and sex, households, language, immigration, labour force activities, education, income and religion, with a focus on the City of Mississauga, in comparison with other cities in the country.

MISSISSAUGA CHORAL SOCIETY

Information on the Mississauga Choral Society, active since 1975.

MISSISSAUGA (CITY) - DESCRIPTION, 1974-

Material on the City of Mississauga, from 1974 on.

MISSISSAUGA (CITY) - DESCRIPTION, 1974- ARTEFACTS

Contains souvenirs celebrating the City of Mississauga

MISSISSAUGA CITY CENTRE

Mississauga City Centre comprises the area around Hurontario Street and Burnhamthorpe Road which includes the Civic Centre, Living Arts Centre, the Central Library, Celebration Square and Square One, and contains a mix of civic, office, residential and entertainment uses.

MISSISSAUGA CIVIC CENTRE

The award-winning Civic Centre was opened in May 1984 by their Royal Highnesses, the Duke and Duchess of York.

MISSISSAUGA CIVIC CENTRE ART GALLERY

Now known as the Art Gallery of Mississauga. The file contains brochures, newsletters, exhibition catalogues, etc. on the Mississauga Civic Centre Art Gallery, which was established in 1987. Prior to this date juried art shows were held at various sites, including the Central Library at Dundas Street and Confederation Parkway.

MISSISSAUGA - COMMUNITY PROFILES

Profiles of the various communities in the City of Mississauga, compiled by the Policy Planning Division of the Planning and Building Department, and based on the 1996 and 2006 census statistics. Includes history, demographic profile, housing statistics, and information on parks and schools. Also included are profiles on employment districts in the City.

MISSISSAUGA - DOMED STADIUM

In 1983 a proposal was made to build a $175 million domed stadium on 2,000 vacant acres in Mississauga. The project, known as the Trillium Dome, would have been located at the northwest corner of Highways 401 and 10. Mississauga's proposal was only one of 34 proposed sites for the domed stadium which was eventually built in Toronto beside the CN Tower in 1989.

MISSISSAUGA GARDEN COUNCIL

The Mississauga Garden Council includes several member organizations. The Council is a moving force behind the proposal for the Mississauga Public Gardens.

MISSISSAUGA HERITAGE FOUNDATION

Mississauga Heritage Foundation, also known as Heritage Mississauga, was established in 1960 by a group of volunteers who rescued the Lewis Bradley House from demolition. The Foundation is a not-for-profit organization whose mission is to identify, interpret, promote, and encourage awareness of the diverse heritage resources relating to the city of Mississauga.

MISSISSAUGA - HISTORY - 1972

Material relating to the history of the City of Mississauga from 1972.

MISSISSAUGA - HISTORIC HOUSES AND SITES

General information on various historic buildings in Mississauga

MISSISSAUGA JUDICIAL INQUIRY, 1975

Material on the judicial inquiry into influence peddling, 1975

MISSISSAUGA JUDICIAL INQUIRY, 2010

The Mississauga Judicial Inquiry is an independent Commission established "to inquire into and report on matters of public interest surrounding the conduct of business in and by the City of Mississauga, and to make recommendations for the future where appropriate."

MISSISSAUGA LIBRARY - ANNUAL REPORTS

Annual reports of the Mississauga Library System

.

MISSISSAUGA LIBRARY - CANADIANA ROOM

The Canadiana Reading Room was opened in October 1992. The Canadiana Room houses the Local History Collections of the Mississauga Libary System, which provide a variety of resources to support research on the history and development of Southern Ontario, with particular emphasis on the area now incorporated as the City of Mississauga and the Region of Peel.

MISSISSAUGA LIBRARY - DONATIONS - LETTERS OF THANKS

Includes letters written to donors as well as policies regarding donations of material to the Library.

MISSISSAUGA LIBRARY - GENERAL

Pamphlets, brochures, clippings, policies of a general nature concerning the Mississauga Library System.

MISSISSAUGA LIBRARY - HISTORY

Clippings, programs, minutes, etc., recording the evolution of the Mississauga Library. Contains the history of the various small libraries in Toronto Township which eventually combined to form the Mississauga Library.

MISSISAUGA LIBRARY - INFORMATION SERVICES - ALBERT SPRATT'S REPORTS, ETC.

Reports by the former Head of Information Services for Central Library, Dundas St. and Confederation Parkway, 1967-1980.

MISSISSAUGA LIBRARY - JURIED ART SHOW

The Central Library at Dundas Street and Confederation Parkway held juried art shows for several years. Includes material for the period 1976-1984.

MISSISSAUGA LIBRARY - MONTHLY REPORTS

Reports from the various departments of the Central Library for the period 1975-1988.

MISSISSAUGA LIBRARY - NEW CENTRAL

Programmes, invitations, plans and photos of the New Central Library, 301 Burnhamthorpe Road West, which was opened officially in October 1991. Includes 3 binders of information re shelving requirements, furniture, and staffing.

MISSISSAUGA LIBRARY - PROGRAMMING

Contains material including email correspondence, minutes, letters and publicity re 2005 Bicentennial programme lecture by Professor Donald B. Smith, April 21, 2005

MISSISSAUGA LIBRARY - PUBLICITY BROCHURES

A selection of the Library's brochures and book lists

MISSISSAUGA LIBRARY SLIDE COLLECTION - HISTORY

In 1978 the Reference staff of the Mississauga Library began a project to compile a pictorial history of the City of Mississauga, beginning with the areas of Malton, Cooksville, Erindale and Streetsville. This project, funded by a Young Canada Works grant, was carried out for some years by students hired to photograph various buildings around the City, as well as copy historic photographs of buildings which have been demolished. Many of these slides can be found on the Library's online Historic Images Gallery.

MISSISSAUGA LIBRARY STAFF ASSOCIATION

Formerly Toronto Township Public Library Staff Association; became CUPE Locl 1989. The file includes constitution, correspondence and sumissions.

MISSISSAUGA LIBRARY SYSTEM - LIBRARY 2000 NEWSLETTER

Bi-monthly newsletters of the Library for 1999.

MISSISSAUGA LIVING ARTS CENTRE

Contains feasibility study, brochures and promotional material on the Living Arts Centre, which opened in 1997.

MISSISSAUGA - MEDICINE

Includes articles by Dr. T. Lockwood on the history of medicine in Port Credit, and "Folk medicine through the ages" by S.A. Holling.

MISSISSAUGA - MUSEUMS

Contains issues from 1997 to 2011 of "Museum News & Views" - a publication of Benares Historic House & Bradley Museum, the museums of Mississauga.

MISSISSAUGA - NEWSPAPERS

Brief history of the Mississauga News which began as a cottage industry in 1968, going up against the established newspaper The Mississauga Times, and which eventually took over and merged with that paper.

MISSISSAUGA PEACE MEMORIAL

Programmes on the dedication of the Mississauga Peace Memorial formerly situated in front of the Central Library.

MISSISSAUGA - PLACES OF WORSHIP

Various material on the history of some of the churches in Mississauga.

MISSISSAUGA - POLITICIANS, POLITICAL CANDIDATES

Campaign literature for various municipal, provincial and federal candidates from Mississauga.

MISSISSAUGA - SEPARATED CITY

As a result of the Province of Ontario reconsidering the question of regional government the City of Mississauga is looking at the possibility of separating from the Region of Peel.

MISSISSAUGA SPORTS COMPLEX

Plans and clippings, ca1977, for the development of a major sports and recreational complex.

MISSISSAUGA - STREETS AND HIGHWAYS

Names with historical significance which might be used as street names in Mississauga, as prepared by the Mississauga South Historical Society.

MISSISSAUGA SYMPHONIC ASSOCIATION

Former name of the Mississauga Symphony. The file contains brochures, clippings, etc. dealing with the Symphony, which was founded in 1972.

MISSISSAUGA (TOWN) - GOVERNMENT, 1968-1973

Material on the period of municipal government after Toronto Township became the Town of Mississauga.

MISSISSAUGA TRAIN DERAILMENT - NOVEMBER 10, 1979

On the evening of November 10, 1979, a train carrying tanks of chlorine derailed at the railway crossing at Mavis Road. As a result the City was evacuated. Fortunately there was no chlorine spill. This file contains newspaper clippings, articles, pamphlets, etc. dealing with the derailment and its aftermath.

MISSSISAUGA TRANSIT

Material dealing with Mississauga Transit from its beginnings to present.

MISSISSAUGA URBAN DESIGN AWARDS

In 1981 the City of Mississauga initiated its annual Urban Design Awards Program. This file contains newspaper clippings, brochures, reports and a ten-year retrospective on the awards.

MISSISSAUGA VALLEY

Mississauga Valley, also known as Mississauga Valleys, one of the communities of Mississauga, situated north-east of Cooksville, bounded by Hurontario Street to the west and Cawthra Road to the east, between Burnhamthorpe Road and Dundas Street.

MISSISSAUGA - VIDEOS

This file contains a press release kit publicizing the Library's video, "Our saga: the creation of a city". Included in the kit is list with pictures and annotations of selected paintings from the William Perkins Bull Collection of historical paintings of Peel.

MISSISSAUGA YOUTH ADVISORY COMMITTEE

See MAYOR'S YOUTH ADVISORY COMMITTEE

MISSISSAUGAS - HISTORY

A collection of articles on the history of the Mississaugas who settled around the mouth of the Credit River in the 17th century

MISSISSAUGAS OF THE CREDIT

See MISSISSAUGAS OF THE NEW CREDIT FIRST NATION

MISSISSAUGAS OF THE NEW CREDIT FIRST NATION

Articles, pamphlets and brochures describing the Mississaugas of the New Credit First Nation and their move to the Six Nations Reserve in Tuscarora Township, Brant County, in 1848; their development and life at New Credit today

MiWAY

See MISSISSAUGA TRANSIT

MOORE-STANFIELD HOUSE

This designated property was built in 1882 by Samuel J. Moore on part Lot 6, Con. 2, NDS, in the former village of Burnhamthorpe. Moore sold the house and part of the lot to his brother-in-law, Joseph Stanfield.

MUNGER FAMILY

Various notes, articles, copies of original documents and family trees relating to the Munger Family of Clarkson.

MURRAY, "CHIC"

Campaign material and newspaper clippings on the former councillor, Reeve, and Mayor of Mississauga.

N

NAZAR HOUSE

Newspaper clippings on historic house on the Ninth Line in the Lisgar area which was demolished in 1990.

NEWCOMERS - MISSISSAUGA

Newspaper clippings dealing with stories about the various newcomer groups in Mississauga as well as brochures, etc. to assist newcomers in accessing information.

NURSING HOME FIRE - JULY 14, 1980

Newspaper articles and municipal documents concerning the tragic fire at the Extendicare Nursing Home, in which 25 elderly people died.

O-P-Q

OSPREY MARSH

This wetland is located near 9th Line and Britannia Road in the Lisgar area.

OWENS-BAYLAY HOUSE

Designated heritage property at 1230 Eglinton Avenue West.

PALLETT FAMILY

Newspaper clippings on one of the earliest families in the Dixie area.

PAMA: Peel Art Gallery, Museum + Archives

Formerly the Peel Heritage Complex at 9 Wellington Street, Brampton, which comprises the Peel Museum, Art Gallery, and the Archives. Contains annual reports, newsletters and general information.

PARMOUNT CENTRE

See Hershey Centre

PARK ROYAL

A planned subdivision in Clarkson built by United Lands Corporation Ltd. and officially opened August 9, 1958, by the then Lord Mayor of London, Sir Dennis Truscott. The Lord Mayor also officially opened a new school, Willow Glen Public School at that time.

PARKER, SIR MELVILLE

Information on Sir Melville Parker, 1824-1903, born in Weymouth, Dorset, who settled in Cooksville and lived at Clair House, which gave its name to the Chateau Clair winery.

PARRISH, CAROLYN

Newspaper clippings, newsletters and campaign literature on the former Liberal MP for Mississauga and Councillor for Ward 6, presently Councillor for Ward 5 in Mississauga.

PARTON FAMILY

Newspaper clippings on Robert Parton who operated the blacksmith's shop in Summerville, now demolished.

PATERSON FAMILY

Family history, clippings and photographs on the Paterson family.

PEEL - ART AND ARTISTS

Clippings and catalogues of various artists and their works in and around Peel County

PEEL COUNTY - HISTORY

Information on Peel County, including a facsimile account of the first Meeting of Council, in 1867.

PEEL HERITAGE COMPLEX

Annual reports, newsletters and general information on the former Peel Heritage Complex (now PAMA: Peel Art Gallery, Museum + Archives), 9 Wellington Street, Brampton, which comprises the Peel Museum and Art Gallery and the Region of Peel Archives.

PEEL - REGION OF PEEL

Clippings, pamphlets and brochures dealing with the Region of Peel, which was created in 1974.

PEEL - REGION OF PEEL ARCHIVES

Contains letters, memoranda, brochures dealing with the Peel Archives. Also contains some early inventory series of various records held by the Archives. For more current information regarding records for Toronto Township and the City of Mississauga held by the Archives, see the finding aid in the Canadiana Room.

PEEL REGIONAL POLICE

Includes chronology of the history of the Force, pamphlets, and newspaper clippings.

PEER FAMILY HOUSE

Brief information about one of the older historic homes in Port Credit, built in 1867 by the Peer family at 7 John Street South. The building is heritage designated.

PINKNEY, DOROTHY

Various articles written by local author in the 1980s.

POLLARD FAMILY

Genealogical information compiled by Major John Barnett. Includes letters.

PORT CREDIT

Manuscripts, brochures, clippings, etc. on the history of Port Credit.

PORT CREDIT FIRE DEPARTMENT

Newspaper clippings and notes on the history of the Port Credit Volunteer Fire Brigade. Includes information on the Bickle fire engine purchased in 1928.

PORT CREDIT PUBLIC LIBRARY

History of the Port Credit Public Library from its inception in 1896. Includes clippings, plans, receipts, reports, etc.

PORT CREDIT VILLAGE HERITAGE FEASIBILITY STUDY

Notes and copies compiled by Paul Dilse in 2003 for the Heritage Conservation Feasibility Study of Old Port Credit Village, a project undertaken by the City of Mississauga, and used in writing "An Overview of the Study Area's Historical Development" in "Heritage Conservation Feasibility Study of Old Port Credit Village: Stage 1 Report" (November 28, 2003) - CANR 720.97135 HER

PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH - MISSISSAUGA

Historical information on three Presbyterian churches in Mississauga: St. Andrew's, Streetsville; St. Andrew's Port Credit; Dixie Presbyterian church

PRICE FAMILY

Brief information on the Price family of Toronto Township.

R

RATTRAY MARSH

Clippings and other material on the fight to save the Rattray Marsh in Clarkson from development. Includes plans, as well as current material on the marsh.

REFORMED CHURCH

Brief history of the Ebenezer Reformed Church of Mississauga.

RIENDEAU, ROGER

Professor Roger Riendeau was commissioned to write Mississauga: an Illustrated History in 1985, in cooperation with the Mississauga Board of Trade. The file contains a galley proof of the book, as well as publicity material.

RHODODENDRON GARDENS

see BEVARK PROPERTY

RIVERSIDE PUBLIC SCHOOL -PORT CREDIT

Material celebrating the 100th Anniversary of Riverside Public School, Port Credit, in 1995.

RIVERWOOD

see CHAPPELL ESTATE/RIVERWOOD

ROBINSON-ADAMSON HOUSE (THE GRANGE)

Designated heritage property at 1921 Dundas Street West. This was the summer home of Chief Justice Sir John Beverly Robinson, built in 1828. It was used for some time by the Boy Scouts of Canada, but is now the headquarters for Mississauga Heritage Foundation.

ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH - MISSISSAUGA

Brochures and other information on some of the Catholic churches in Mississauga.

ROTARY CLUBS OF MISSISSAUGA

Copy of Rotary, for February 1984, with information on the various Rotary Clubs of Mississauga.

ROWE-STEGGALL HOUSE

Streetsville Historic house, built in 1840, at 117 Queen Street, Streetsville, now demolished.

RYAN, NOEL

Contains copies of programme for retirement dinner in honour of Noel Ryan, second Chief Librarian of the Mississauga Library System, 1971-1987