Mississauga Library System
Local Archives A - C

A

ADAMSON, ANTHONY (ADAMSON ESTATE)

Canadian architect, Anthony Adamson, former reeve of Toronto Township, and the Adamson Estate.

AIRPORTS - Mississauga

The development of Toronto International Airport from its beginning as Malton Airport.

ANCHORAGE

Home of Captain John Skynner, now an historical site, part of the Bradley Museum.

ANGLICAN Church - Mississauga

Information on various Anglican churches in Mississauga.

ARCHAEOLOGICAL Sites - Mississauga

Ancient Indian sites and archaeological digs in Mississauga.

ARMAGH (Home for Unwed Mothers and Abused Women)

Annual reports, 1970-1976, and articles on home for unwed mothers.

ART GALLERY OF MISSISSAUGA See MISSISSAUGA CIVIC CENTRE ART GALLERY

ARTEFACTS

Certificates of appreciation, proclamations, plaques and other artifacts, some from the Port Credit Library.

AUSTIN-DELL HOUSE

This historic mid-nineteenth century house, at the southeast corner of Hurontario St. and Eglinton Ave. E., was illegally demolished in 1990.

A.V. ROE

Recent newspaper articles on A.V. Roe, manufacturer of the Avro Arrow, with files on the Arrow itself.

AVRO ARROW

See A.V. ROE

B

BARBER Family - Streetsville

Information on the Barber Family of Streetsville, the Barber Mill and Barbertown.

BARNETT, Major John - Clarkson

Material from the collection of the late Major John Barnett of Clarkson, including his photographs of the area and typescripts of a few of his lectures on local history.

BELLEGHEM, Mildred (A Letter From Home)

For many years Mildred Belleghem wrote a series of articles on local history for the Streetsville Review. They appeared in a column called "A Letter From Home".

BENARES - 1503 Clarkson Rd.

This historic home at 1503 Clarkson Road, Mississauga, home of the Harris Family, is now one of Mississauga's museums.

BEVARK PROPERTY

The fight to save the lakefront cottages on the former Bevark property. The City of Mississauga acquired the property in 1975 and it was eventually developed as Cranberry Cove Park.

BIRCHWOOD PARK

Between 1967 and 1974 Ontario Hydro dumped thousands of tonnes of Pennsylvania bituminous coal fly ash from the Lakeview Generating Station on land they had purchased at Concession 2, Lot 27 on the north side of Lakeshore Road, Clarkson. The area was covered in loam and made into a park called Fly Ash Park. It was taken over by the City of Mississauga and renamed Birchwood Park. An environmental report commissioned by the City in 2010 pointed to potential health concerns at the park.

BLACK HISTORY - MISSISSAUGA

Documents relevant to slavery, the abolitionist movement and the history of African Canadians in Ontario and Mississauga.

BOOKMOBILE

Bookmobile service began in 1958 as part of the Toronto Township Public Library and continued as part of the Mississauga Library until it was officially ended in June 2003.

BOOKMOBILITY

Irregular newsletter of the Mississauga Library System Bookmobile, 1993 and 1996.

BRADLEY Family

Historical information on the family of one of Mississauga's earliest settlers, Lewis Bradley.

BRADLEY MUSEUM

The Bradley Museum is an historic house museum in the Clarkson area of Mississauga. It was built by the Bradley family, Loyalist pioneers, in the 1830's and has been restored to reveal the everyday life of the pioneers.

BRITANNIA

Historical information on the little hamlet of Britannia, 4 miles from Cooksville.

BRITANNIA SANITARY LANDFILL SITE

Discussion on alternatives to Britannia landfill site.

BRITANNIA SCHOOL AND SCHOOL FARM - 5490 Hurontario Street

This century old schoolhouse has been restored to demonstrate how the old one-room school was operated.

BULL Family

William Perkins Bull was an indefatigable collector of the local history of Peel County. His family was prominent in the Brampton area.

BURNHAMTHORPE

Historical information on the former village of Burnhamthorpe.

BURNHAMTHORPE LIBRARY

Information on the Burnhamthorpe Branch of the Mississauga Library System

BUSH'S INN - 822 Clarkson Road South

History of the old coaching inn, built by Russell Bush around 1835 at the corner of Clarkson Road and the Lakeshore, on Lot 29, Con 3 SDS.

C

CANADIAN EXPEDITIONARY FORCE - CLARKSON

This file contains a handwritten list of the fruit growers from Clarkson who joined the Canadian Expeditionary Force in World War I. Also included are letters of the Clarkson Red Cross from some of the soldiers, and a field Service post card.

CAVAN Family

An early Loyalist Family of the Lakeview area.

CAWTHRA WOODS

Material on the Cawthra Woods Management Plan.

CAWTHRA-ELLIOT ESTATE

The Cawthra-Elliot estate was the home of General and Mrs. Cawthra-Elliot. It is one of Mississauga's heritage properties.

CEDAR GROVE MOBILE HOME PARK

Newspaper clippings on the Park, located at 1749 Dundas Street East, now Twin Pines Mobile Home Park.

CEMETERIES

Historical information on some of Mississauga's oldest cemeteries.

CENOTAPHS - MISSISSAUGA

Mississauga's war memorials.

CENTENNIAL - CANADA 1867-1967

Information about Canada's Centennial, featuring photos and programmes of Toronto Township's celebrations.

CHAPPELL ESTATE/RIVERWOOD

Riverwood, also known as the Chappell Estate, is a historic home overlooking the Credit River in the North Credit area of Mississauga. It is presently owned by the City of Mississauga.

CHAPPELL, H.G.

Hyliard Chappell was the Liberal M.P. for Peel South in the 1970s.

CHATEAU CLAIR

Chateau Clair, also known as Clair House, was a successful winery, which was operated in Cooksville in the nineteenth century, first by Justin De Courtenay and then by Sir Melville Parker, on land originally owned by Johann Schiller, an early Cooksville settler.

CHECK IT OUT

Bi-monthly newsletter of the Mississauga Library System, Sept./Oct. 1991 - Nov./Dec. 1994.

CHERRY HILL HOUSE

The original Cherry Hill house was built by Joseph Silverthorne in 1807. The building was moved in 1973 to its present site on Silvercreek Blvd. and is now a restaurant.

CHURCHILL MEADOWS

Information on the Churchill Meadows Development

CLAIR HOUSE

see CHATEAU CLAIR

CLARKE MEMORIAL HALL

Information on Clarke Memorial Hall, Port Credit. Also in the historical photographic collection.

CLARKSON

Historical information on the Clarkson area including lecture notes by Major John Barnett, memorabilia, newspapers and pamphlets.

CLARKSON FAMILY

Warren Clarkson was one of the earliest settlers in Toronto Township. The area he lived in, from 1808 to 1892 when he died, became known as Clarkson. This file includes the pamphlet "A Relic of Old Decency" by Major John Barnett and his wife, Blanche.

COOK, Jacob

Jacob Cook, an early settler in Toronto Township, bought a large lot of land in 1819 for $30 which largely comprised the village of Cooksville.

COOKSVILLE

Originally known as "Harrisville", after the area's first European settler, Daniel Harris, the village was renamed Cooksville in 1836 after Jacob Cook, one of the area's leading businessmen.

COOKSVILLE BRICKYARD

Newspaper articles on the Cooksville Brickyard, at Dundas Street and Mavis Road, begun in 1912 by National Brick Company. In 1922 it became the Cooksville Shale and Brick Company, then in 1944 Cooksville Brick Ltd. was formed. In 1953 Cooksville La Prairie Brick Co. was formed, then in 1956 all divisions amalgamated to become Domtar (Clay Division). The brickyard ceased operations in the 1950s.

COOKSVILLE LIBRARY

The Cooksville Library opened in June 2004 at 3024 Hurontario Street and was expanded in 2009. The branch celebrated its 10th anniversary in 2014.

COOKSVILLE PUBLIC SCHOOL

Cooksville Public School operated for 105 years and finally closed its doors on June 30, 1978. The file includes photographs, newspaper clippings and a guest book.

THE COOKSVILLE REVIEW [newsletter]

Newsletter of Heritage House Retirement Home, Cooksville, covering the year 2004.

COTTAGE, THE - 893 Sangster Ave

"Queen Anne" style cottage, one of the few remaining summer cottages located in Lorne Park Estates, now demolished.

COTTON - HAWKSWORTH HOUSE - 1234 River Road

Heritage home in the Port Credit area of Mississauga.

CRANBERRY COVE PARK

see BEVARK PROPERTY

CREDIT RIVER

Mainly newspaper clippings on the Credit River, ca. 1963, by Robert Turnbull, later published in book form as "Crisis on the Credit".

CREDIT VALLEY CONSERVATION

see CREDIT VALLEY CONSERVATION AUTHORITY

CREDIT VALLEY CONSERVATION AUTHORITY

Annual reports and brochures outlining the work of the Credit Valley Conservation Authority. The name was changed to Credit Valley Conservation around 2004.

CREDIT VALLEY HOSPITAL

Annual reports, fact sheets, news releases and newspaper clippings on the Credit Valley Hospital, Mississauga.

CREDIT VALLEY HOSPITAL AND TRILLIUM HEALTH CENTRE

see TRILLIUM HEALTH PARTNERS

CREDIT VALLEY RAILWAY

The Credit Valley Railway had a brief history in the 1880's. It ran from Toronto's Union Station, through early Mississauga, up to Orangeville.

CREDIT VALLEY SCHOOL OF NURSING

Newspaper clippings on the Credit Valley Nursing School, founded in 1968, which later became part of Sherdian College, and was closed in 1995.

CREDITVIEW WETLAND

Newspaper articles on attempts to rezone the Creditview Wetland at Eglington Avenue and Creditview Road, Mississauga.

CREWE, Dr. William and Sarah CREWE

Newspaper clippings on Dr. William Crewe, the first doctor to serve the Cooksville area of Mississauga.

CROMBIE, Bonnie

Former Mississauga Councillor and Liberal MP for Mississauga Streetsville and newly elected Mayor of Mississauga, October 2014

CURRY Family

Newspaper clippings on the Curry family of Burnhamthorpe, a village of Mississauga. James Curry operated a store and post office there in the 1870's.