Mississauga Library System
Local Archives S - Z

S

SALVATION ARMY

Information on the Salvation Army Corps in Mississauga.

SANFORD FAMILY

Documents, photographs, clippings, etc. about the Sanford (or Sandford) family and Sanford Farm, at 784 Eglinton Avenue West, a designated heritage property.

SAVAGE, ALLAN

This file contains original letters written by Allan J. Savage, then of 127 Farnham Avenue, Toronto, to Major and Mrs. John Barnett. The letters span the period December 1936 to January 1947, and refer to the early history and settlers of the Clarkson area.

SAYERS FAMILY

Newspaper article on marriage of Barbara Sayers to Melville Gooderham, as well as copies of photographs of Sayers' homes, from the Barnett Scapbooks.

SCHILLER, JOHANN

Information on Cooksville's first wine-maker, Johann Schiller. Schiller's vineyard and the wine he made were the inspiration for the Chateau-Clair winery, founded by Melville Parker.

SCHOOLS - MISSISSAUGA

Various clippings and brochures about some of the schools in Mississauga.

SCHREIBER, CHARLOTTE

Charlotte Schreiber, a talented artist, was born near Colchester, Essex, England in 1834. She married W. Schreiber and came to Toronto in 1875. In 1882 the Schreibers built a house called "Mount Woodham" near Springfield (now Erindale). Two other properties nearby, built by brothers of W. Schreiber, were "Lislehurst " (now the Principal's residence at Erindale Campus) and "Ivanholme". Charlotte Schreiber painted many of her works at Erindale and was a mentor to many young artists, including Ernest Thompson Seton. She was the first woman to be made a member of the Royal Canadian Academy.

SETON, ERNEST THOMPSON

Newspaper clippings on the naturalist and author who lived for a few years in the Port Credit/Erindale area.

SHAW, JAMES ROBINSON

Historial material on one of the early settlers of Port Credit. James Robinson Shaw, the proprietor of Shaw's Hall, was also a storekeeper, innkeeper, farmer, blacksmith, ship and carriage builder, and a healer. His second house still stands at 19 Stavebank Road N.

SHERIDAN

The little village of Sheridan on the Town Line, once called Hammondville, is now part of the Clarkson area.

SHERIDAN COLLEGE MISSISSAUGA CAMPUS

The new Sheridan College Mississauga campus, named for Mayor Hazel McCallion, is located in the heart of the City Centre on Prince of Wales Drive and will accommodate 1,760 students, about 1,200 of whom will be in the business program.

SHERIDAN SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY PARK

Known as the Sheridan Park Research Community when it opened in 1965, this research park is home to industries such as Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd., Cominco, Dunlop Research Centre, Inco,Warner-Lambert, and the Ontario Research Foundation, among others.

SHOOK FAMILY

Handwritten letter from Esther Shook Murphy to Major John Barnett and his handwritten notes. The Shook family were among the early settlers in the Clarkson area.

SILVERTHORN FAMILY

Correspondence, newspaper clippings, etc. on the Silverthorn family, a branch of which lived at Cherry Hill, near Dixie.

SMALL ARMS LIMITED

The Small Arms building is located on the Arsenal Lands in Lakeview. The Department of Defence purchased the Arsenal Lands and Small Arms Ltd. in 1935, and in 1940 it became a large munitions plant, manufacturing rifles and small arms for the Canadian Army through World War II until 1974. The building was designated by the City of Mississauga in 2009 under the terms of Ontario Heritage Act.

SOUTHCOTT, MARY E. (BETH)

These files contain the working papers of local author, Mary E. (Beth) Southcott, for her book, The Sound of the Drum: sacred art of the Anishnabec, published in 1984.

SPECK, ROBERT

Newspaper clippings on the first Mayor of the Town of Mississauga, who died in 1972.

SPRING CREEK GRAVE GROUND

Historical notes on the earliest cemetery in Toronto Township, now known as Springcreek Cemetery, in Clarkson.

SQUARE ONE

Brochures and clippings dealing with Canada's largest enclosed shopping centre.

ST. JOHN'S CHURCH, DIXIE

Picture postcards, clippings and brochures relating to one of the earliest Anglican churches in Toronto Township.

ST. LAWRENCE CEMENT

Newspaper clippings about the cement company located in Clarkson and now known as Holcim (Canada).

ST. LAWRENCE STARCH CO. LTD.

Contains material on the history of the St. Lawrence Starch Company of Port Credit, which was demolished in 1994.

ST. PETER'S ERINDALE

Brief information and a drawing of St. Peter's Anglican church, founded in 1825.

ST. SOFIA'S SCHOOL

Article by Oksanna A. Wynnyckyi on the Ukrainian school and its heritage language program.

STEEN FAMILY

Excerpts from The Steen family in Europe and America: a genealogical, historical and biographical record of nearly three hundred years ... by Moses D. A Steen (Cincinnati: Monfort & Co., 1900). Includes information on the descendants of William Steen who settled in Streetsville in 1822.

STEWART, JOHN
(Back Pages)

Long-time Mississauga Times and Mississauga News reporter and editor, John Stewart, now retired, writes an occasional column in the News about the City and politics.

STREET FAMILY

Biographical material on Timothy Street, the founder of Streetsville, and his family.

STREETSVILLE

Clippings, programmes, brochures, unpublished material, etc. tracing the history of the village of Streetsville.

STREETSVILLE BREAD AND HONEY FESTIVAL

Begun in 1973, originally called Streetsville Founders Bread and Honey Festival, to promote the history and culture of the village of Streetsville, and still going strong. The file contains promotional material covering the years 1973 to 1978.

STREETSVILLE DOCTORS

Brief information on a few of the early medical practitioners in Streetsville.

STREETSVILLE GRAMMAR SCHOOL

Material about Streetsville Grammar School, including an article, letter and newspaper account.

STREETSVILLE HISTORICAL SOCIETY BULLETIN

see Streetsville Historical Society Newsletter

STREETSVILLE HISTORICAL SOCIETY NEWSLETTER

Newsletter of the Streetsville Historical Society

STREETSVILLE PUBLIC LIBRARY

Historical and current material on Streetsville Branch of the Mississauga Library System.

SUMMERVILLE

Newspaper clippings about the little hamlet of Summerville, particularly the history of the Summerville blacksmith's shop, built in 1867, and demolished in 1979.

SUPERNEWS

Internal staff newsletter put out by the Publicity Department, 1979-1982.

SWYRDA, STEFAN

On May 3, 1908, two boys living in Erindale discovered the body of a man, later identified as Oleck Loutick, in an area known as Fasken's Bush, near Clarkson Corners, now the intersection of Royal Windsor Drive and Southdown Road. Stefan Swyrda, described variously as an Austrian or a Russian Pole, was arrested for the murder, tried, found guilty, and though the jury recommended mercy, was sentenced to be hanged in Brampton Jail. He was executed February 11, 1909, the first execution in the County of Peel during its then forty-two years as a separate municipality. The file contains reports of the crime, the judge's charge to the jury, and various letters and documents regarding the case, including leave to appeal which was denied.

T

TEXACO CANADA, INC.

The Texaco Refinery was built on the site of the Port Credit Brick Yard. Refinery operations began in 1932 under the name Lloyd's Refinery. Good Rich Oil Company purchased the refinery in 1935 and turned it into the largest independent oil refinery in Canada. In 1947 it was purchased by Trinidad Leaseholds and the name changed to Regent Refining Company. Texaco, then known as McColl-Frontenac, acquired ownership in 1957. As refineries closed down in various cities in the 70s, the decision was made to close the Port Credit refinery in 1985 and dismantle it after 50 years in the community. The file contains some correspondence re soil cleanup as well as a folder on the plant decommissioning.

THOMAS L. KENNEDY SECONDARY SCHOOL

25th Anniversary pamphlet describing T.L. Kennedy High School, Cooksville, opened in 1953. The school was named after the late Col. Thomas L. Kennedy of Dixie, a former Premier of Ontario.

THOMPSON, COLONEL WILLIAM, CLARKSON

Information on Col. William Thompson, one of the early settlers of Clarkson, and his house "Harwood", which was demolished in 1973.

THOMPSON HOUSE - "OLD FORT"

John Thompson was a farmer and the first harbour master in Port Credit. His house, "Old Fort", at 48 Lake Street, has been preserved as a heritage listed property.

THORNE LODGE, ERINDALE

Thorne Lodge was built in 1821 for Lieutenant-Colonel Peter Adamson on 200 acres near the Credit River between Dundas Street and the Middle Road. The building was destroyed by fire in 1965.

TIMOTHY STREET HOUSE, 41 MILL STREET

Text and pictures describing the residence of Timothy Street, the founder of Streetsville, believed to be the first brick house in Peel County. The property is heritage designated.

TORONTO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT - DC 8 CRASH - JULY 5 1970

Newspaper clippings on the crash of the Air Canada DC 8 jet airliner, the "first major Toronto air disaster" and at that time the second-worst air disaster in terms of deaths.

TORONTO SUBURBAN RAILWAY

Articles, maps and timetable on the Toronto Suburban Railway, incorporated in 1894. The line eventually ran from the Keele and St. Clair terminal, Toronto, through Georgetown, Acton, and Guelph, passing through the Toronto Township communities of Summerville, Dixie, Cooksville, Britannia and Meadowvale.

TORONTO TOWNSHIP COUNCIL

Minutes of first meeting (Jan. 1, 1850) and lists of elected officials of the Council of Toronto Township.

TORONTO TOWNSHIP - HISTORY

Information on the history of Toronto Township, including clippings, brochures, etc.

TORONTO TOWNSHIP MUNICIPAL OFFICE BUILDING

Plans of the Township of Toronto municipal buildings located in Cooksville, at Confederation Square.

TRILLIUM HEALTH PARTNERS

These two hospitals, Credit Valley Hospital and Trillium Health Centre (formerly Mississauga Hospital) officially merged their services as of November 30, 2011

TWIN PINES

see CEDAR GROVE MOBILE HOME PARK

U-V

UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO MISSISSAUGA

see ERINDALE COLLEGE

UNITED CHURCH

Brief histories of some of the churches in Mississauga, including St. Stephen's-on-the-Hill, Cooksville United, Applewood United, and St. Luke's-on-the-Hill.

W

WALTERHOUSE FAMILY

Extensive notes on the Walterhouse family, including clippings, photograph and copy of an Upper Canada Land Petition.

WATERFRONT TRAIL

Newsletters, maps, pamphlets, etc. on the 275 km. Waterfront Trail, which stretches from Hamilton to Trenton, particularly the Mississauga portion of the trail.

WEEKS, VERNA MAE

Newspaper clippings on local author, Verna Mae Weeks. Also in the local archives are the working papers, research notes, and photographs for three of Mrs. Weeks's books: My Villlages of Mississauga, Lakeview: More Than Just Land, and Lorne Park: Dreams of Long Ago.

WESTERN HOTEL

This old hotel, originally built around 1874 by H. Bleakley, was situated on Stavebank Road, opposite the arena in Port Credit. It was torn down in 1967 to make room for an apartment building and parking lot.

WHAT'S ON AT THE LIBRARY

A community guide to programs at the libraries

WILCOX HOTEL, 32 FRONT STREET

Clippings and pictures of the old Wilcox Inn, at Front and Bay Streets in Port Credit, built ca 1850 by James Wilcox.

WILCOX HOUSE, 4650 HURONTARIO STREET

Brief information on the heritage designated Wilcox House, now the Barbizon Restaurant.

WINDING LANE BIRD SANCTUARY

Newspaper clippings about the late Roy Ivor, an ornithologist who kept the Winding Lane Bird Sanctuary in Erindale, a haven for injured birds.

See also: Peel Biography: INMAN-EMERY, Bernice; IVOR, Roy

WOMEN'S INSTITUTE

Programmes, correspondence and some brochures dealing with some of the Women's Institutes in the Mississauga and Peel area.

X-Y-Z