Mississauga Library System
Local Archives G - L

G

GABLE Family

Early Loyalist family in the Clarkson area.

GARDNER-DUNTON HOUSE

Designated heritage structure at 5520 Hurontario Street. The file contains reports and a brief sketch on Joseph Gardner.

GILL Family

The Gill family operated a general store and post office for several years in the village of Dixie, at the intersection of Dixie and Burnhamthorpe Roads.

GO TRANSIT

Ontario's GO transit system runs on routes established by three historic railways, the Grand Trunk, the Great Western, and the Credit Valley Railway.

GOVERNMENT INN

Government Inn, formerly located at the mouth of the Credit River, was the first substantial building erected by European settlers in the Port Credit area.

GRAFTON, Thomas

Thomas Grafton operated the Vanstone Inn in Port Credit in the 1870's. It was one of several railway hotels built along the Great Western railway line.

GRAND DUCHESS OLGA

The Grand Duchess, Olga Alexandrovna, born in 1882, daughter of Tsar Alexander III of Russia and sister of Tsar Nicholas II, lived in Cooksville at 2130 Camilla Road from 1952 to about 1960 when she moved to Toronto where she died.

GRAVE ROBBING - STREETSVILLE

In October 1937 the village of Streetsville was shocked by the discovery that the body of one of its residents, Hayden Pope, had been dug up and removed from its grave, and a crude ransom note left in the empty casket.

GREENIAUS Family

Obituaries for four members of the Greeniaus family of Clarkson.

H

HAMMOND Family

The Hammonds were early settlers in Toronto Township.

HANLAN PUBLIC SCHOOL (1844-1957)

Hanlan School was situated on Second Line East (now Tomken Road) in Mississauga and operated from 1844 till 1957.
See SCHOOLS - MISSISSAUGA.

HARRIS Family

The Harris family were a well-known Clarkson family. The family home, Benares, at 1503 Clarkson Road N is now a museum.

HARRIS Family - Cooksville

The Harris family of Cooksville were early settlers in the area. The village of Cooksville was originally named Harrisville for the family.

HERALD, THE (Erindale Village Association)

The newsletter of the Erindale Village Association

HERITAGE MISSISSAUGA

See MISSISSAUGA HERITAGE FOUNDATION

HERSHEY CENTRE

The Hershey Centre was built in 1988 and was the home of the Mississauga Ice Dogs of the Ontario Hockey League until 2007 when the Ice Dogs were relocated to St. Catherines, Ontario and renamed the Niagara Ice Dogs. The Hershey Centre is now home to the St. Michaels Majors of the OHL.

HICKS, Kathleen A.

A collection of newspaper columns, "A V.I.P. and Me", by local author, Kathleen A. Hicks.

HOLCIM (CANADA)

See ST. LAWRENCE CEMENT

HOLLING, Stanley A.

Dr. Stanley Holling, a former Medical Officer of Health, was a Clarkson resident and author of books and articles on medicine and local history.

HOUSE BUILDERS - Mississauga - 1970's

Price lists and floor plans of various Mississauga developers of the 1970s.

HOWLAND Family

Sir William Pearce Howland, the only American-born Father of Confederation, settled in Cooksville in 1830. A plaque commemorating Howland was erected in Confederation Square, Cooksville and unveiled August 16, 1967.

HUNTER, TOMMY

Lyrics and music on tape and disk of "Mississauga," a song composed by Tommy Hunter; periodical clippings.

HURON PARK RECREATION CENTRE

History and description of the Huron Park Recreation Centre at 2460 Stavebank Road, Mississauga. The Centre opened in 1967.

HURRICANE HAZEL

On October 15, 1954, Hurricane Hazel blew up through New York and Pennsylvania after destroying much of Haiti. Hazel combined with an extreme low pressure system to produce high winds and strong rain which produced severe floods in Toronto and the Holland Marsh area. The Humber River and the Etobicoke Creek were so flooded that whole areas around were devastated.

I

INTERIM PLACE

Reports and newspaper clippings on Interim Place, a shelter for abused women.

IVOR, ROY

See: WINDING LANE BIRD SANCTUARY

J

JARVIS Family

The Jarvis family were United Empire Loyalists who, along with the Merigolds and the Bradleys, took up land in Toronto Township.

JONES, Peter

The Reverend Peter Jones was the Chief of the Mississaugas of the Credit as well as a minister in the Wesleyan Methodist Church.

JOYCE, Lorne

Dr. Lorne Joyce, 1926-2013, a retired optometrist and long-time resident of Port Credit, was a local historian with a deep interest in the history of the commercial fishery of the Great Lakes. He came from a family which for a hundred years were commercial fishermen on Lake Ontario. Dr. Joyce, a member of the Mississauga South Historical Society, was the acknowledged expert on the stone-hooking trade which once flourished in Port Credit. The file contains two of his published essays on the fishery.

JUSTIN HOUSE

Heritage structure report from the Local Architectural Conservation Advisory Committee, September 1990, recommending that the Justin House, 7523 Winston Churchill Blvd., Mississauga, be designated under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act.

K

KANEFF, Ignat

Newspaper clippings on Mississauga builder, "Iggie" Kaneff.

KARIYA, Mississauga's Twin City

In 1981 the City of Mississauga was twinned with the City of Kariya, Japan. The file contains newspaper clippings, correspondence, brochures and artifacts representing Kariya and its relationship with the City of Mississauga.

KENNEDY, Doug

Newspaper clippings and a profile on Doug Kennedy, 1916-2003, the former M.P.P. for Peel South and a member of the well-known Peel family.

KENNEDY Family

Newspaper clippings and pamphlets on a well-known Peel family. Includes information on Col. Thomas Laird Kennedy, a former Premier of Ontario.

KENNEDY, THOMAS LAIRD

Clippings, programmes and photographs on Colonel Thomas L. Kennedy, 1878-1959, a former Premier of Ontario, and a member of the well-known Kennedy family of Dixie.

KONRAD, Ruth

Ruth Konrad was the first Chief Librarian of the Toronto Township Library, later the Mississauga Library System. The Library's Canadiana Collection is named after her.

L

LAKEVIEW

Information on one of Mississauga's communities.

LESLIE FAMILY

Clippings, correspondence and documents of the history of the Leslie family of Streetsville and Leslieville, Toronto, who came to Canada from Sutherland, Scotland, in 1824. See also Leslie Log House

LESLIE LOG HOUSE

The Leslie log house was the property of John Leslie, an early settler in Toronto Township. It was relocated from its original location north of Streetsville to the east side of Mississauga Road, south of Eglington Avenue.

LIBRARY LINK

A guide to programs and services at the Mississauga Library System covering 2004 to 2011.

LIBRARY NEWS

A community guide to the services and programs at the library, covering 2011 TO 2013.

LIGHTHOUSE, THE (Mississauga South Historical Society)

The newsletter of Mississauga South Historical Society.

LINK - Mississauga Library System's Magazine

Link was a tabloid newspaper, published from 1974 to 1991, which described all programs offered in the Mississauga Library System.

LIVESAY, Dorothy

Dorothy Livesay, 1909-1996, one of Canada's best-known poets, lived for some time in the Clarkson area.

LONG BRANCH RIFLE RANGES

Documents, correspondence and a plan of the Rifle Ranges at Long Branch, along with an article on the Long Branch Flying School, the first of its kind in Canada.

LOFT, Fred O. (Chief ONONDEYOH) full blooded Mohawk Indian born Feb. 3, 1861

Biographical information and copy of a painting of Frederick Ogilvie Loft, 1861-1934, Chief of the Six Nations of Canada. The painting was executed by Mississauga artist, Andrew Hughes.

LORNE PARK

The Lorne Park Community received its name from the Marquis of Lorne, a former Governor-General of Canada.

LORNE PARK ESTATES

Clippings, photographs, maps, correspondence and notes on Lorne Park Estates. This extensive collection was donated to the Library by the Lorne Park Estates Committee, and formed the basis for their book, A Village Within a City.

LYND Family - Port Credit

Information on the Port Credit family.