Mississauga Library System
Local Archives D - F

D

DARLING, Jack

Newspaper articles from the Mississauga Times and Review, 1968, 1969, 1970 on the late Jack Darling after whom Jack Darling Park (next to Rattray Marsh) was named.

DE LA ROCHE, Mazo

Mazo de la Roche, 1869-1971, the author of the Jalna series, lived for some time in the Clarkson area of Mississauga. The file contains an original short story published in Canadian Magazine, 1910, photocopies of three of her plays, newspaper clippings, letters and programmes.

DEMETER, Peter

Newspaper articles on Mississauga's most infamous murder case. See also the scrapbook, Mississauga - Crime and criminals.

DESTINATION CENTRAL

A library newsletter devoted to "placemaking" around the Central Library, 2006-2007.

DISTRESS CENTRE PEEL

Newspaper clipping and 1991 Annual report on Mississauga volunteer help line.

DIXIE

One of Mississauga's earliest villages on Dundas Street, Dixie, originally called Sydenham, was first settled in 1806. In 1865 it was renamed Dixie in honour of a local doctor, Dr. Beaumont Dixie.

DIXIE ARENA GARDENS

Built in 1949 by Howard Pallett, Dixie Arena Gardens was one of the first indoor rinks in the Toronto area. It became the home of the St. Lawrence sponsored Dixie Beehives, who later became affiliated with the St. Catherine Teepees and part of the farm system of the Chicago Black Hawks. The arena later became a nightclub and was demolished in 1996 to make way for townhouses.

DIXIE, Dr. Beaumont

Dr. Beaumont Dixie was born in Wales and came to Canada in 1831. He lived in the Erindale area of Mississauga and was a well-known doctor. The village of Sydenham on Dundas Street was renamed Dixie in his honour.

DIXIE UNION CHAPEL

"A rare surviving example of a 'union' chapel from the settlement period of Upper Canada" ca. 1816. Originally a log building it was replaced by the present stone structure in 1837.

DOBKIN, Dr. Martin

Newspaper clippings and campaign brochures concerning former Mississauga Mayor Dr. Martin Dobkin, Mayor from 1974-1976.

DOMTAR QUARRY

Domtar Construction Materials took over the former Cooksville Brick Co. in 1953.

DUCK Family

Early settlers in Toronto Township.

DUFF, Harry

Typescripts of the late Harry Duff's columns in the Halton-Peel, Ontario Genealogical Society, Branch newsletter on the Cooksville area of Mississauga. Published in 1995 as "Cooksville: Do you remember?"

E

EDEN SCHOOL, S.S No. 17, 2285 Derry Road West

Brief article on an old schoolhouse in Meadowvale, now demolished.

ELMBANK CEMETERY

The Elmbank/Fifth Line Cemetery was opened in 1833 to serve the early Catholic settlers in the rural areas northeast of Toronto. Located on land that eventually became the Toronto International Airport, the cemetery was closed in 1939 and gradually surrounded by airport runways. Elmbank Cemetery was fully relocated to Assumption Cemetery in 2001.

ELLIOTT, William

Early settler in the Meadowvale area of Toronto Township.

ENERSOURCE HYDRO MISSISSAUGA

"Enersource Hydro Mississauga is the successor to the electricity distribution business of the Mississauga Hydro Electric Commission, later incorporated as Hydro Mississauga". An extensive history of the development of hydroelectric power in Toronto Township, later the City of Mississauga.

ERIN MEADOWS COMMUNITY CENTRE AND LIBRARY

Information on the Erin Meadows Branch which opened July 2001.

ERIN MILLS

Fact sheets, brochures and newspaper clippings on Erin Mills, one of the newer communities of the City of Mississauga. It is one of the largest development projects undertaken by Cadillac Fairview.

ERIN MILLS NOW

Newsletter published by Don Mills Developments Ltd. for residents of Erin Mills New Town. Issues span 1972 to 1981.

ERINDALE

Erindale, originally known as Springfield, is one of the earliest villages of Mississauga.

ERINDALE COLLEGE

Some early student newspapers, plans, calendars and newspaper clippings on the Erindale campus of the University of Toronto, now known as University of Toronto at Mississauga (UTM) with more recent newspaper articles on the present campus.

ERRATICA (Mississauga Library Staff Journal)

Erratica was an irregular staff newsletter of the Mississauga Library System. Issues cover the period 1975 to 1980.

ETTIENNE, Dolores

Newspaper clippings, photographs and typescript autobiography of Dolores Ettienne 1924-2005, a Mississauga actor

EVANS ESTATE / GLENERIN INN

The Glenerin Inn in the Erindale area of Mississauga was once the historic Evans home

F

FIX, Mary

Mary Fix, 1896-1972, was the first woman to serve on the then Township of Toronto Council. In 1955 she became Reeve of Toronto Township and served several years in that position. She also served on the Mississauga Library Board.

FRANK MCKECHNIE COMMUNITY CENTRE AND LIBRARY

Plans, illustrations, news releases, etc on the Frank McKechnie Community Centre and Library which opened in June 2000

FRIENDS OF THE LIBRARY

The "Friends of the Mississauga Library" was started in the Fall of 1969 "to work with the Library, the Library Board and Town Council, to improve, assist, and contribute to the Town Library..." The group disbanded in 1973. The current Friends of the Library was reinstated in 1999.